Q. Can I pair my bulbs directly to an Echo Dot or Google Home Mini?
A: Currently, neither ZigBee nor Bluetooth bulbs will connect directly to devices like an Echo Dot or Google Home device. ZigBee bulbs will require a ZigBee hub to connect to, while our Bluetooth bulbs are currently designed to connect directly to Apple HomeKit.
Q. Do I need the OSRAM LIGHTIFY hub?
A. Our ZigBee bulbs require a ZigBee hub to connect and operate, however it does not necessarily need to be the OSRAM LIGHTIFY hub. Your smart lighting products will connect directly to your compatible hub without it. Bluetooth bulbs do not require a hub and will pair directly to HomeKit using Bluetooth on your iOS device.
Q. My bulb isn’t pairing. What should I do?
A. You can try a variety of things to get your bulb to pair:
- Ensure you have the correct product. Bluetooth bulbs are designed to work with Apple HomeKit, while ZigBee bulbs require a compatible ZigBee hub to operate. If using ZigBee, make sure your SMART+ product is compatible with the specific hub you are using.
- Try resetting the bulb. View our video on how to do that here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B4IVZZyKqw). For LIGHTIFY versions, follow this same process, but add 5 seconds in between each on/off function.
- Make sure you’re in range. When using a ZigBee hub, you may want to move the product closer for initial set up. For Bluetooth lights, simply make sure Bluetooth is turned on and that you’re nearby the light.
- If you’re still experiencing issues, you can reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-LIGHTBULB or Smart@LEDVANCE.com to help further guide you through what the issue might be. If your bulb is defective, we offer a 2 year replacement warranty and will replace the bulb for you.
Q. What’s the difference between LIGHTIFY and SMART+ products?
A. The LIGHTIFY name has been re-branded to SMART+. Our new SMART+ line includes both Bluetooth and ZigBee smart lighting products. These products have the added benefit of enhanced technology to help make the products more reliable and adaptable for future enhancements. Please note that the slightly different technology used inside our ZigBee bulbs may mean different compatibility with ZigBee systems. We are working on incorporating all our new SMART+ products with the most popular systems, but always double check to make sure your product is supported.
Q. Can I connect these bulbs to the Philips Hue Bridge?
A. Unfortunately, at this time, SYLVANIA SMART+ products are not compatible with the Philips Hue bridge.
Q. How do I update the firmware on my lights?
A. For ZigBee products, you can use the LIGHTIFY gateway to immediately check and update firmware on your lights. If you are not using the LIGHTIFY gateway as your main hub, you must disconnect the lights, pair them to the LIGHTIFY hub, and proceed with updating. Otherwise:
- LIGHTIFY: Available updates will automatically show within the LIGHTIFY app.
- SmartThings: You must enable OTA updated within the SmartThings IDE. View instructions here.
- Wink: Make sure you enable OTA updates in the app. View instructions here. Wink will push updates as needed.
- Echo Plus: OTA updates will automatically be pushed as needed.
- Apple HomeKit: Download the SYLVANIA Smart Home app from the iOS store.
Q. My lights randomly stopped working. They disconnect or turn on at random times, schedules and automations don’t run. What can I do?
A. This could be do to a variety of reasons and may not necessarily mean there is an issue with your lights. If your phone or the app you are using had a recent update, something may have caused a malfunction. It may also mean you are running an older firmware version on your lights, which does not properly work with the updated version of the app you are using. You can also try resetting your light bulb, or checking to make sure there are no known issues such as firmware updates on the manufacturer’s side that may be causing the issue. If you feel your product may be defective, please reach out to our customer service team at 1-800-LIGHTBULB or email@example.com.
Q.Why do I need a hub for ZigBee light bulbs? Can’t I just download the app?
A. ZigBee light bulbs require a ZigBee hub to operate and will not work by just downloading the app. The hub acts as a control center for all your smart home devices and allows you to control your devices even when you’re not home. Using a hub such as SmartThings or Wink, you can integrate devices from other manufacturer’s as well for a full smart home experience using one system. With our Bluetooth bulbs, you can pair your lights directly to Apple HomeKit without a hub. However, for away from home control you will need an iPad, Apple TV, or HomePod set up as your Home Hub.